06 September 2011

Review: Solid by Shelley Workinger

Solid by Shelley Workinger
Series: Solid # 1
Official Website
DescriptionTeens who discover they were secretly genetically altered before birth are brought together at a classified site where they forge new friendships, find love, develop "super-abilities," and even unearth a conspiracy.
Review: I really love books with boarding schools and far-away campsites. I guess because I've lived at home, with the same commute, for the past 16 years is very...routine. But these books, where the kids go off on their own, all together, is very interesting to me. In Solid, you get that, plus romance, plus conspiracy theories, plus powers. I was sold right from the start.

Solid lived up to every possible expectation I had. I was also happy to find out that the author designed the cover herself, and the cover is very eye catching. The color and just the way the chromosome looks is very unique. It makes you do a double take and want to grab it off the shelf.

Solid begins the tale of teenager Calliope 'Clio' Kaid, who just found out she was chemically altered while still inside her mother, and is being sent to a out-of-eye-shot campsite in New Jersey. Clio already knows that she was genetically altered, so there was no 'omg whAT' sequences. I have to admit, the story opens up as she's travelling there, and I totally thought I downloaded the sequel by accident. It was a little confusing, but you understand, after a few pages that she knows.

Clio makes friends easily, settling in with the funny jock, Garret; the shy, naive Bliss; outspoken Miranda; and dreamy, smart Jack. I have to say, from a self-published book, I have never seen a group of friends so realistic and true. Their friendship has to go down in the books as one of my favorite book friendships. They're just so real with each other, and they listen to each other, and they help each other out. It's very admirable and it's something that you want to be a part of.

Obviously, Solid has tons of backstories. You learn why the crazy doctor even wanted these super kids, and about the man who had to keep everything a secret. You learn the truth about Clio's father's death, because in every YA, nobody's parents can die on accident.There has to be a secret agency against them, or in this case, they found out the wrong information.

Some of the things that go on in Solid would have had be suspicious from the first second. For example, all of the food is free, and the only thing they ask of you is to join some group sessions to work on their powers. Also, nobody has computer connection except the group counselors, and none of the kids can get in contact with their parents. That would have been a big eye opener for me.

Overall, Solid is an amazing start to an awesome series. I can't wait to jump right into the next book, Settling, and back into Clio's life.

"I knew now that I wasn't going anywhere, wasn't letting go of this. We'd find a way to work things out, because what we had was real, solid."
                                                  -Solid; Shelley Workinger

No comments:

Post a Comment