02 September 2011

Review: Reborn by Ley Mesina

Reborn by Ley Mesina
Series: Goddess of Night #1
Official Website
Description: Lily Westbrook discovers that being half witch and half vampire is more of a challenge than she thought.  When her powers mature on her eighteenth birthday, she unlocks a mystery that many witches thought was a legend. After moving back to her birthplace in Cedar Creek, MA to attend Kensington University, Lily is instantly pulled deeper into the world she was kept from—the world of witches and vampires—uncovering the truth about her past and discovering who she is meant to be.

Review: I am one of the biggest Sims fans alive. Okay, I used to play that game into the wee hours of the night, creating families, houses, generations, and more. Each game came with a mythical creature. So they had vampires, witches, plant people, etc. Needless to say, when I discovered I can make Vampire-Witch hybrids, I was ecstatic! It was the greatest thing EVER! They couldn't go out during the day, but they could conjure up spells and fly around at night. Long story short, it brought me back to my childhood. (2 years ago)

Reborn tells the story of half witch - half vampire Lily Westbrook. Her parents disappeared and she is living under the care of her Aunt Trudy and family friend, Arthur. But Lily always got that feeling, ya know that most supernatural main characters get, that her father is still out there. On her 18th birthday, as she's about to venture out into the world for college, built by her father centuries ago, she learns a bit of family history : it was against the witch law for her father and mother to wed, so they've been on the run ever since and they left Lily with her Aunt. Interesting.

Reborn was such a lovely novella. For one thing, it's the perfect length. There was no 100+ pages of teenage angst, or 50+ pages of Lily questioning her identity. It was nice. The author got her point across and it flowed beautifully. The only problems I did have with the writing was some spelling & grammar mistakes, and in the beginning, when changing between characters, I was pretty confused. But it evened itself out quickly.

Lily is a very determined main character, which was enjoyable. She's 18, so I guess she's more mature than if a 16 year old found out that she was a powerful witch and vampire. I liked the way she treated her family members. I'm really big on family, so when I main character isn't a whiny little brat, I really appreciate and admire them. Lily was very enjoyable to read about, and I look forward to her thoughts in the future.

Overall, Reborn is a fast read about the mind of a vampire-witch, and the family and secrets that surround her.

"But you should know that in our world, nothing is impossible to believe."
                                                       -Reborn; Ley Mesina

No comments:

Post a Comment