28 November 2011

Review: Someone Like You

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen 
Series: Lauren's Sappy Holiday # 2
Official Website
Description: Halley and Scarlett have been best friends for years, sharing secrets, clothes, and crushes. People know Scarlett as the popular, flamboyant one; Halley’s just her quiet sidekick. Then, at the beginning of their junior year, the balance shifts. First, Scarlett’s boyfriend Michael is killed in a freak accident; soon afterward, she learns that she is carrying his baby. For the first time, Scarlett really needs Halley. Their friendship may bend under the weight, but it’ll never break–because a true friendship is a promise you keep forever. Sarah Dessen’s poignant, funny voice has earned her raves and legions of teenaged fans.


Review: GUYS THIS IS MY SECOND BOOK IN THE SUPER SAPPY SARAH DESSEN HOLIDAY!!!!! WOOHOO

Okay, like the last piece of beautiful cake I reviewed, I loved this book. And I related to it even more. This time is scarier. If you don't want to read the upcoming essay, I relate to Halley and my best friend Marge relates to Scarlett. This is my story. BUH BUM.

Okay so Scarlett and Halley are best friends, Scarlett being the outgoing, courageous one, while Halley is an introvert, who has an eggscellent relationship with her mother, who is a therapist and has written countless books about her and Halley's relationship. (Okay take a breather. That is one of the worst sentences in literary history, and I'll probably regret it later, but some people may think it's cute.Some people being my mother) Halley never breaks the rules, and lives a nice, clean, honors schedule life. She is known as 'Scarlett's friend, Halley' and would rather spend time with her family then with others.

But then Scarlett starts spending time with Michael, whom she grows to love. So they consume their love, and the next day, Michael dies in a motorcycle accident. Soon enough, Scarlett grows to realize she is pregnant with Michael's baby. Meanwhile, Halley is growing closer and closer to resident badboy and Michael's best friend, Macon, who comes to class late (GASP) and has no real home. She is intrigued by his nonchalant respond to life, and his mysteriousness. So, she starts a relationship with him, all the while helping out Scarlett and her growing belly.

Hereeee's my storyyyy: okay so in sophomore year, in my ninth period earth science class, which I took because it was an easy way out, I kinda met this boy, Brad. (Yes that is a fake name because how many Brads do you know who are 18?) He was a year older than me, he was very smart but acted dumb, and smoke pot and cigarettes. And it was the first encounter I've ever had with a male of the sort. I soon found out he smoked with my cousin, but he's adopted, so it's okay. And he would talk to me, and come to the class for me, and show me his 'inner heart'. Nothing ever happened with him, mainly because I'm a coward and was scared but interested. And then sophomore year ended and I never saw him again.


I can totally relate to Halleys interest in Macon, because let's face it, when you see a bad boy on television, it's hot. Guys like Damon Salvatore and other bad boys. (Okay I cannot think of anymore hot bad boys. Jace??)I for one think tattoos are hot stuff, and all that bad-boy exterior. But it can really turn sour, and Dessen shows that bad point with Halley and Macon. She shows that its not all fun and games and he will want to have sex with you after 3 months. Definitely. Well not definitely, but it's bound to happen. And she shows how the girlfriend is always going to be wondering what he does at night, since he does not have a stable home. And who he hangs out with. And where. And be a nervous wreck until he opens up to her, which he may never do.

During the summer of 2011, my best friend Marge had a pregnancy scare. And I thought she was joking when we bought a pregnancy test. But it was not a joke. She seriously thought she was pregnant. And I got ridiculously scared. First of all, our school is very judgmental, and she sticks out like a sore thumb already with thick glasses and a nose hoop. But I imagined what Scarlett went through. All the sickening looks, the decision to keep the child or not, and the entire delivery process. Her ex-boyfriend (yes, ex) was out of the picture, off in the military. And who would be there, holding her hand through the process? Obviously not the ex, her mother yes. But a girl needs a best friend, especially in times of trouble.

You know what I hate about Sarah Dessen novels? She gets us so attached to characters, and then we cannot continue with their stories.

Overall, Someone Like You is another addition into the collection of books I love by Sarah Dessen. It is chockful of lovely quotes and best friends and heartbreak, and it can really relate to you. I can't wait to start my third Sappy Sarah Dessen Novel, Dreamland. This is one of those books I'll never forget.

There are some things in this world you rely on, like a sure bet. And when they let you down, shifting from where you’ve carefully placed them, it shakes your faith, right where you stand.
-Someone Like You, Sarah Dessen

No comments:

Post a Comment