30 June 2011

Review: City of Glass

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Series: Mortal Instruments # 3
Also by author: Infernal Devices series
Official Site
Description: To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

Review: ohmygod. This book, this freaking book. Jeez, I just.. Just lemme get out these emotions that I'm still feeling. I finished it last night, a good 10 hours ago, and I'm still smiling like an idiot, and crying, and just awe-struck by the turn-out of this book. This is a 5-star worthy book.

---Spoilers from the City of Bones and City of Ashes-------

It's been a whirlwind of a year for Clary Fray, and yes I know she has quite a few last names but I cannot remember them, so she will be Clary Fray. A)She finds out her mother has been lying to her for, like, ever, and she's this race of angel people called Shadowhunters. B) She falls in love with this cutie-pa-tootie named Jace Wayland. C.)She finds out that Jace is her brother, and not like half or step, but same parents. D) Her best friend, Simon, turns into a vampire who can walk in the sun. E) Her father, Valentine, is a power-hungry monster who wants to destroy all Downworlders, and the list goes on.

Well, I just spoiled the first two books. Sorry. But seriously, a lot has happened to this child. It's been a hell of a year. And things get worst when she travels to Idris, homeland of the Shadowhunters, to try to revive her mother out of her coma. I would just like to say here that Cassandra Clare beautifully described Idris, it sounds like a gorgeous place, and I could imagine it beautifully. And I'm not saying for the first time, I want to be in your world.

As I was reading, in between my tears and shouts of joy, I noticed that Clary really grew up. She's really thinking about the problems of the entire Shadowhunting world, and she's trying to make it a better place. She matured a lot from the three novels, and I'm glad she's not a whiny little baby anymore. She understands the problem and she stays out of the way as best she could, but she does help. And I felt like a proud mama when she opened her mouth and showed the Clave her gift.

As one can assume, City of Glass has sooo many backstories. I was in book heaven. And the backstories were good. And believable. And I was surprised a few times. I'm an idiot, and I spoiled the book for myself. I forget if I wikipedia'd it, or I was on tumblr or something, but I found out the truth while I was still reading City of Ashes. And yes, I knew two major plot secrets, but the book was still incredible, and I still got goosebumps when I read the parts I already knew.

Jace. Oh, Jace. You poor baby. I'm like freaking out, thinking about all that he endured during city of Glass. He almost dies, like four times. At the end of the book, I just wanted to hold him in my arms and let him have a good cry. All the pain he had to go through, all the backstories he had to be told, he's strong. He's a strong babe, that's for sure.

I think I've only cried two or three times during a book. That count will not be four, because I cried during this book. I cried for the lost love. I cried for the new love. I cried for the innocent ones who died, because they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Whew. This book. This is one of my favorites. I would be content with it ending here, but City of Fallen Angels is already out, and I need to get my hands on it. I can't stop smiling over this book, jeez.

Every memory was valuable; even the bad ones.
-City of Glass, Cassandra Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment