23 April 2011

Review: Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
Series: Wolves of Mercy Falls # 2
Official Website
Description: In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past... and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves... and is nonetheless drawn to Cole. At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never forget.


Review: Linger is the long-awaited sequel of Shiver (my review). Not for me, though, since I started it a year after it's release. However late I have started it, it was still a great book, and even better than the first one.
-----Spoilers from Shiver-----

So, at the end of Shiver, not-so-mean Isabel and Grace found a cure for the werewolves! WOohoo!! And Sam was cured!! Even better! Everything is great, right? It's perfect ! The soulmates are finally together. Until Grace starts experiencing some wolf-like symptoms.
Yup, she's finally turning, about 14 years too late.

We're introduced to a new character named Cole St. Clair, whose a former rock star. Somehow he ends up in Isabel's house naked, so I thought, omg Maggie made a equally badass male character to match Isabel's. Not so much. The makeout a few times, but nothing really happens. The not-so-sex scene had me crying for some reason, partly because both Cole and Isabel are so royally screwed up. Isabel thinks she responsible for Jack's death, and Cole just doesn't want to feel anything. They were my favorite part of Linger. Their scenes were so smile inducing, and then some were tearful. 

Grace and Sam were just there. I read a review about Linger on Goodreads. Grace was just there, Sam was moping around the entire novel. Grace is getting sicken by the moment, and Sam doesn't want to face it. I honestly wanted to punch him.

 And you know those adorable scenes when Sam and Grace would lay in their bed together, not doing anything just laying? Yeah those are over. Because Grace's idiotic, asshole parents had to walk in on them and throw out Sam, who was there for their daughter when they weren't. God! I hated her parents. The last book, they were cute and not there, just living in their own worlds, but their book they were like hovering helicopters. And there's this quote, spoken by Grace, who is growing pretty badass herself, that she speaks to her mother, which I'll never forget :
"This entire conversation will sounds pretty stupid when Sam and I are visiting you at the old folks’ home.”
You go, Grace! Four for you, Grace Brisbane!!
This book was so tear-inducing, it was unbelievable. 
  • When her parents threw out Sam
  • When Grace was getting sicker
  • When Cole killed the deer, and the deer was blinking at him with little deer eyes
  • When Cole wouldn't sleep with Isabel
  • Anything having to do with Cole & Isabel
  • When the new wolf dies ( I hate Tom Culpeper, I hate you, I hate you)
  • The whole hospital scene. 
  • Grace running away (literately) 
Overall, I think Linger was 100x better than Shiver, even though I loved Shiver. It was a great follow-up and I can't wait to read Forever. 



"It felt like everyone in this house had a reason to escape, and I was the only one trying to."
Linger; Maggie Stiefvater

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent review Lauren. I love Maggie Stiefvater too. I just wanted to let you know that I grabbed your button and added it to my blog roll. I also featured 'Books From a Shelf' in this weeks YA Blogger Show and Tell post on my blog.

    Smiles,
    Amy
    http://amyjonesyaff.blogspot.com
    http://www.soulquesttrilogy.com

    ReplyDelete