01 February 2012

Review: The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Series: Goddess Test # 1
Official Website
Description: It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

Review: I have loved Greek mythology ever since the fifth grade when Ms. Lomardo taught it. But I wasn't in that class because I was never smart enough, so I had to look on from the sidelines while the smart kids learned about the gods and goddesses. I find them so fascinating, how every god is in charge of something, and their backstories. I think that's why I like mythology so much because of backstories. I'm in love with the Percy Jackson series and that's the first young adult series that I read with greek mythology. I read this book a looooong time about about Hades and Persephone, and I really loved it. It was very vibrant, and emotions were flying off the pages. And then came along The Goddess Test.

The Goddess Test tells the tale of Kate, whose mom is dying to cancer. Since Kate's mom wants to die in her hometown, they move to the little town of Eden. Kate is obviously having a hard time adjusting to the new school and such. She sees a girl brought back to life after she drowned, and it's pretty shocking because that doesn't happen usually. This strange fellow who bought the girl, Ava, back to life asks Kate to research the story of Hades and Persephone. He is Hades, and he wants Kate as his bride.

In exchange for Kate staying with Hades (he goes by Henry in the novel), Henry will keep Kate's mother alive enough for Kate to say goodbye. It's a good deal, and Kate will be able to say goodbye to her mother on her own terms. Kate accepts, and she lives in Henry's castle.

Since I'm a big fan of greek mythology, it made this book a lot better. At the end of the novel, the author reveals what characters are which greek gods. And I really didn't think that they were correct. I didn't see the attributes in the gods and goddesses that were in these characters.

I liked this book a lot for the romance, mainly because I'm a corny idiot. Yeah, I smiled freakily to myself a couple of times. It was cute, I'm not gonna lie. Romance gets me, and since it was greek mythology and romance, it hit me pretty hard. I liked the tests that Kate had to do. I felt that it was a good indicator to tell if she was ready to become immortal.

I strangely connected with Henry, even though I have never had a lost love. I just.. I understood how he couldn't get really close to Kate at first. Even thought Kate was trying so hard to get through to him, he never really opened up. I actually liked Henry a lot. He was a good, admirable character, and I might even read the sequel just to see what he ends up doing.

Kate. I have to admit, Kate's not very memorable. The only thing I can remember about her is how I admired her decisions. She was forced to make some pretty tough decisions, regarding her mother and her life. She was just a girl who grew up too quick. The love she had for her mother was tear inducing. I cried at the sappy scenes. Another human character I liked was James. I usually hate the James type characters, the ones who interfere with the relationship between the heroine and her mate. But James was bearable. He was quite funny and came out with some interesting quotes. I really didn't like Ava, even though the author was trying to show that Ava had a good side.

Carters writing was so raw, it was dripping off the pages. Her thoughts about death, love, and life after were so real. The writing hit me hard unlike any other book. It was just so realistic.

The only problem I had with this book was the big reviewing of Kate. It felt rushed, and it like she was pulling straws out of a hat with the big ending.

Overall, The Goddess Test is a romantic ride about letting go, falling in love and all the juicy adventures in between.

I could give him what he needed-a friend, a wife, a queen- and in return he could be my family.
-The Goddess Test; Aimee Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment